Friday, 9 October 2026

Ilkeston Town Centre: Interesting/Varied Architecture


While visiting Cossall (a village of massive D.H. Lawrence significance in Nottinghamshire), I also visited the town of Ilkeston (Derbyshire) nearby as Lawrence did teacher training here between 1904 and 1906.

Walking from Ilkeston train station to the town centre, I noticed the kind of red-brick places that Lawrence sometimes mentions in The Rainbow:

And after a steep ascent in the town centre itself, I reached the Market Place Square where St. Mary's church holds pride of place:

Have just read that the church dates back to the mid-12th century.


In its high position, overlooking the Market Square, the church looked like a crown on the head of Ilkeston.


While trying to find an entrance, which bizarrely I never came upon, I came across a Memoriam to the Ilkeston men who fell during the First World War:


The whole of the top Market Place was pleasing to the eye:


But the building that possibly caught my attention the most lay a few streets away, the Scala Cinema:



Have just read that it dates back to the early 20th century.

And even an industrial-looking building, nearby, appeared photogenic:


Yeah, I found some interesting/varied architecture in Ilkeston town centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment