Sunday, 27 September 2026

Visiting St. Chad's Church (Cheetham Hill, Manchester)


To get to the Old Latin Mass, I twice visited St. Chad's Oratorian Church in Cheetham Hill (near Victoria Station) in Manchester.


Low Mass in the Tridentine Rite is offered at 16.45 (preceded by Benediction) each Sunday at St. Chad's.

Inside, the church has a reassuring, old-worldly feel:


Being full of statues of Our Lord, Our Lady and Catholic saints:






However, above all else, it was a glass case that caught my eye:


The glass case contains the skeletal relics of a 3rd century, Roman martyr, St. Benignus:


Through looking at several online sources, I've found out that scientists have confirmed that the skeleton dates back to the 3rd century.


And that the Oratorians moved it here from the Church of the Holy Name in Manchester when they took up residence at St. Chad's in 2013.

On the way back to Bury (my original hometown - I now live in Warsaw, Poland), still in Cheetham Hill, I saw the skeleton of an old Anglican church:


I hope the same fate does not await St. Chad's, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment