Tuesday 10 September 2013

Great Albums: 'Tigerlily' by Natalie Merchant


Had always wondered what tiger lilies look like, but for some reason, had never got round to finding out until a recent trip to Wilanow Palace Gardens in Warsaw where some visiting friends from Ireland pointed out the beautiful flowers above to me. 

But why the curiosity with tiger lilies?  Where does this curiosity come from?  Well, I guess it goes back to Natalie Merchant's sumptuous album:  'Tigerlily'.  If I remember correctly, this was Natalie Merchant's first solo album after leaving 10,000 Maniacs and I got it on cassette shortly after I'd gone doing my first EFL teaching stint in Nowy Sącz in the foothills of the Tatra Mountains in Poland in 1997.

Absolutely love this album and fondly recall playing the cassette, which I still have, non-stop during my two-year stint in Nowy Sącz.  Which are my favourite tracks?  Well, I love the opening track:  'San Andreas Fault':



Just love the drifty meandering rhythm to this track, it just reminds me that life is a profound drift without a rhyme or reason, but still deeply meaningful and mysterious all the same.

Also really like 'Carnival', again, it just has that kind of profound drifty meandering rhythm:



Yeah, also love the video to this, it just seems to go with the music perfectly.

Finally, which is my favourite track on 'Tigerlily'?  Well, that would have to be 'My Beloved Wife':



For me, the theme of an old bereaved husband grieving for his recently deceased wife is deeply moving.  No more than that, it's just a really touching song.

No comments:

Post a Comment