Tuesday 17 September 2013

Finding Constantinople in Istanbul


Love this picture that I took in Istanbul when I was there last year.  If I remember rightly, this place was either an old Roman baths or water supply (probably the latter, but I can't be sure).  However, the place was just full of antiquity and enchantment:  in a nutshell, it was the place where I seemed to get a strong taste of ancient Constantinople in modern-day Istanbul.  The only problem was that it was pretty dark down there.

For me, the Fall of Constantinople was one of the biggest disasters in human history, so down there, in the darkness and the stillness, I felt some kind of pathos and deep respect for the vanquished of 1453:


Found the video above with accompanying music showing the Fall of Constantinople interesting, as it gave me some kind of (accurate or inaccurate) visual sense of how the great city must've fallen.  Still, the Great Siege of Vienna had a much happier ending, let's be grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment