Friday 27 September 2013

My Favourite Business English Coursebook: Business Benchmark Advanced


If you ask most EFL teachers about what their favourite Business English coursebooks are there, nine times out of ten they will mention the 'Market Leader' series which certainly is a useful teaching-learning resource.

However, I would have to say that 'Business Benchmark Advanced' by Guy Brook-Hart is the most useful Business English coursebook that I've ever encountered.  First, I really like the fact that the book is self-contained with all the answers being readily available at the back of the book.  Second, there are 24 short but well-designed chapters in the book, perhaps offering a wider topic variety than the traditional 10-12 topic coursebooks.  Third, what I like most is the eclectic design of the individual chapters themselves which include concise sections on gambits for speaking; topic collocations; not excessively long reading tasks from which additional collocations can be extracted; and business writing models (e.g, reports) that are not excessively long.

Which is my favourite chapter from the book?  Well, that's probably 'Unit 4:  Chairing Meetings', as I've seen many materials on participating in meetings, but not that many on chairing them, and this unit gives a short but concise list of gambits for chairing meetings which can be easily added to with a bit of thought from the teacher.

So there you have it, just a quick concise appreciation of my favourite Business English coursebook:  'Business Benchmark Advanced'.


No comments:

Post a Comment