Friday 23 August 2013

Dandelion Wine at Warsaw Skład Butelek 17th August 2013


Two days before this small gig, I'd neither heard of Australian (male-female) duo Dandelion Wine nor the small but interestingly decorated Skład Butelek club over the river in the 'Bohemian-type' Praga district of Warsaw.  However, I've got to say that I really enjoyed both Dandelion Wine, who gave a very uplifting 90-100 minute set despite having driven from Berlin for most of the day, and the 'avant-garde' type decor of the Skład Butelek club.

So how did I come to discover Dandelion Wine a couple of days before this small Warsaw gig?  Well, I'd just got back off a weeklong holiday in the Balkans, and a good friend e-mailed telling me about the Dandelion Wine gig, and that the band were well worth checking out on Youtube.  So the latter I duly did, and immediately connected with the band's kind of hybrid Gothic-Folk-Electronic-Rock sound, as in 'Thin Air':


Before the gig I got to quickly speak with the duo (Naomi Henderson and Nicholas Albanis) who after asking me where I was from, told me about seeing My Bloody Valentine at Manchester Apollo where I'd seen my first gig, UFO on the 'No Place To Run' tour, about 34 years ago.  How time flies with all types of beautiful music, as diverse and as UFO and Dandelion Wine.




Finally, must stress that Nicholas and Naomi are incredibly multi-talented musicians, Naomi fluctuating between flute, recorder, percussion, keyboards, and vocals, while Nicholas switched between dulcimers, guitars, and several other things that I'm not capable of naming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment