Saturday 5 April 2014

Gazpacho Live at Warsaw Klub Progresja 4th April 2014


Another great gig last night - Gazpacho up at the Klub Progreja (now in the Fort Wola part of the city).  Wasn't really aware of Gazpacho a few months ago, but, being pretty big on Prog, I'm just glad that I discovered them in time for last night's gig.

The band's frontman Jan Henrik Ohme (below) has quite an incredible vocal range, and I really like the way this guy presents himself in such a modest, polite and understated way:


Which were my favourite tunes of the night?  Well, they would have to be 'Tick-Tock Part 2' (my favourite Gazpacho tune); 'I've Been Walking Part 2' (which really brought the small but enthusiastic crowd to life); and 'Upside Down'.   Below is the multitalented Mikael Kramer playing violin (while not playing guitar or mandolin):


Below - guitarist Jon-Arne Vilbo, another great but understated member (as are all the guys in the band):


Below the band are taking well-deserved applause from the small but highly appreciative crowd:



What did I do when I got back home after the gig?  Well, after cracking open a can of Perła (one of my favourite Polish beers), I just sat back happily listening to 'Tick-Tock Part 2' and 'Upside Down' repeatedly in honour of the great band I'd just seen (well done to whoever put the videos below from 2009 and 2011 on Youtube): 



Yeah, that drum beat in 'Tick-Tock Part 2' is incredible.


And the violin in 'Upside Down'  . . .  of course, sublime.  This is a band of beautiful subtle changes of mood and melody, beautiful and yet so modest and understated.  Got the same kind of enchantment out of watching the Icelandic bands Arstidir and Mum last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment