Wednesday 22 July 2015

Michael Chapman and Mike Cooper Live at Warsaw Pardon To Tu 21st July 2015


So glad I got to see accoustic guitar maestro Michael  Chapman at Warsaw Pardon To Tu last night.  Only discovered Michael Chapman's work properly a month or two ago, but I'm so glad I did.

The man just has a profound feel for his instrument, it's captivating, I just found myself being mesmerised watching his finger movements on the guitar all the time, tapping my feet in unison:


My favourite tunes of the night would have to be the opening 'Trains' or the encore 'La Madrugada':


Between songs, Michael Chapman was very gracious with a pleasant northern English (Yorkshire) accent, and it was interesting to hear how 'La Madrugada' had been inspired by and written in Italian, Spanish and Mexican churches.


Unfortunately, I only caught a few minutes of the Mike Cooper set afterwards, as I had to be up early for work the next morning.  As I'd expected, Mike Cooper's work looked as if it was going to be heavily esoteric, and from what I saw at the start, I'm not that sure if some members of the audience knew what to make of it.


Still, while there were a few problems with the microphone, Mike Cooper showed that he had a great, ironic sense of humour (e.g. his theory about the soundman being in the toilet), and recalled the days when him and Michael Chapman  had been playing live in the British clubs of the 1960s.


And the Pardon To Tu?  I just find this place a touch claustrophobic, especially at the back when the  music starts, although it's easy enough to move around and get a beer before the music starts:


No comments:

Post a Comment