Thursday 9 February 2017

1976: A Monumental Year


Like most British people, when I think of 1976, the first thing that springs to mind is the famous heatwave from that year.  I was only 10 at the time, but can clearly remember it.

When I think a little deeper, I can also recall some interesting sporting events: Southampton upsetting Man. Utd 1-0 in the FA Cup Final; Borg beating Nastase in straight sets in the Wimbledon Final; and Sugar Ray Leonard dazzling everybody with his boxing skills at the Montreal Olympics.

However, I mainly think that 1976 is a monumental year in human history because it's the year that Rush's '2112' (breakthrough) album was released:



Dedicated to the great libertarian philosopher (freethinker), Ayn Rand, this album ensured the survival of, for me, what would go on to be the greatest (Rock or otherwise) band to ever grace the planet.  Truth be known, I was only introduced to '2112' and Rush in about 1978 by a friend, Andy Hawkins.  Still feel indebted to Andy about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment