Thursday 24 October 2019

Revisiting St. Stephen's Church, Hackington


When I lived in Canterbury between 1999 and 2003, one evening, I went for a leisurely stroll and came across St. Stephen's church in the wonderful, sedate area/village of Hackington in/near Canterbury (some internet sites refer to Hackington as a village one mile outside Canterbury).

Again, this year, I accidentally stumbled upon St. Stephen's when my travelling companion initiated an interesting wild goose chase. Had completely forgotten about the beautiful church tower at St. Stephen's:


Have just read that St. Stephen's dates back to the 12th century, and that at one time, contained a famous image of St. Stephen which pilgrims visited for its miraculous powers.


In the surrounding graveyard, the small wooden cross below stood out for me:


No comments:

Post a Comment