Saturday 1 February 2020

Taking Shelter in St. Peter's Stonyhurst


Wasn't far off finishing The Lord of the Rings over summer, so when I was in my native Lancashire, I had to visit Stonyhurst College where Tolkien is known to have written his wonderful trilogy.

Unfortunately, we picked one of the wettest days of the year to visit Stonyhurst, and going inside St. Peter's church provided much needed relief from the awful weather as well as a chance to see the interior:


The church looked fantastic inside. One of my companions on the trip, Michael, explained that it had been refurbished in 2011.



Outside, the weather refused to buck up.


Michael, very much our guide on this expedition, pointed out Pendle Hill in the distance:


Due to the inclement weather, we couldn't complete our walk, so rambling alongside the river; seeing where Gerard Manley Hopkins lived etc. will have to wait till next summer when I'm back in Lancashire for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment