Thursday 9 July 2020

Starting Pride and Prejudice


Between 1987 and 1988, I read Emma three times while attending A Level English Literature classes at Bury College of FE once a week in the evening. To be honest, I quite enjoyed studying Emma, and can't understand why it has taken me 32-33 years to start reading anything else by Jane Austen.

Having seen the wonderful film version of Pride and Prejudice starring Keira Knightley, I can still remember the general storyline of this novel. I'm only a few chapters into the novel, but I like what I see. Jane Austen quickly allows her readers to see that there's much more to Mr. Darcy than what his aloofness would suggest, and that the wonderful character of Elizabeth will bring this fully out of him.

Really like how one of the female characters describes the difference between pride and vanity early on in the novel:


A year or two ago, I really enjoyed reading Oliver Twist having not read any Dickens for about 22-23 years. Think I'm going to similarly enjoy catching up with Jane Austen through Pride and Prejudice.

Was pushed towards reading Pride and Prejudice by the great scholar of Catholic literature, Joseph Pearce. In Literature: What Every Catholic Should Know, Pearce explains that despite being Anglican, Jane Austen was sympathetic towards Catholics and their religion. If I remember correctly, he also stresses that in Pride and Prejudice, much can be learnt about the art of curbing pride, one of the seven deadly sins, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment