Friday 14 December 2012

Brandon Village, County Kerry, Ireland

Time for another piece of travelogue writing, I think. 

Legend has it that my mother's side of the family whose surname is Brandon originate from Brandon village in county Kerry, Ireland.  However, all that we know for certain is that our family of Brandons came over to Lancashire (to work as weavers) from Thurles in county Tipperary in 1822, and this is where the family tree seems to stop, so the rest is pure speculation. 

Despite the above, the idea of my mother's side of the family originating from Brandon Bay has always stuck with me, as I've always been a Romantic drawn towards enchantment.  Thus, last year in early August, my friend Northsider Dave and his kind wife took me and my wife over the Connor Pass and down into Brandon village in deepest county Kerry.  The drive over the Conor Pass was incredible, and I remember looking down at the wonderful scenery below (yes, it's quite some way down!):


Many thanks to the travel site that provided this picture.

However, my main reason for going to Brandon village was that my mother was dying of cancer in Paper Town (Bury), and I just had to see the 'mythological' origins of her side of the family.  And when we got to Brandon, I wasn't disappointed. 



As Brandon village is set on the Kerry coast, surrounded by a host of dark brooding mountains, the place is an isolationist's dream:  you can simply encounter your deepest self there. 



At the centre of the village, there is a nice, homely pub, but in the picture below you can see some locals at work crab-fishing.  What particularly fascinated me in Brandon was the sense of awe that a group of teenagers seemed to get from seeing visitors from the 'outside world'.  As there's little to do in Brandon, these teenagers must've been dreaming about how, when and where they would enter that big wider world.  Of course, I wish them all well wherever their destinies take them.


The next picture below is of Northsider Dave's faithful Jack Russell hound, Fido, swimming in Brandon, and she seems to be in her element, doesn't she?



Yes, it may only be an isolated crab-fishing place in the middle of nowhere, but I felt something at Brandon, and, who knows, maybe my mother's side of the family does originate from there, after all.  Of course, my mother died last year, but my memories of Brandon's stillness and tranquility give me some sense of peace.

The last picture below is of (a badly overweight) me standing with Brandon Bay and some of the surrounding mountains lying in the background. 



Thankfully, the beer belly has now gone.  Would love to go back to Brandon for a couple of days some time, as I love the place.


4 comments:

  1. Great post and pictures Pat. Love the 'artistic licence' about Fido being in the photograph. Although the dog does look very similar doesn't it?

    The Conor pass is featured in Tom Cruise's 'Far and Away'. The pass is one scary place and talk about 'where angels fear to tread'.

    If you ever want to go there again Pat. Let me know and we will go there. Maybe even rent somewhere for a few days?

    I agree with what you say about the splendid isolation.

    I'm trying to get rid of my beer belly too. Started doing a mile or 2 a day on the exercise bike. Bought a bike for the road the other day. That's my next challenge. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the reference to Fido, Dave. Does Fido do a lot of swimming?

    Cutting down on the drink might be the key to getting rid of the beer belly, Dave.

    Thanks for the offer of another visit to Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think Fido likes the sea Pat.

    You're probably right about cutting down on the drink Pat. Rural living is very isolated and some times a drink changes the mood for the better.

    You know you're always welcome. I would love to spend a few days touring different parts of Ireland. We seem to have visited a lot of it but only for whistle stop visits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave, with the US, Ireland is one of my two favourite countries.

    Some interesting information, The Once are playing Bury Derby Hall on January 17th and about 8 gigs in Ireland in late January/early February, but I'm not sure if they're anywhere near you, but if they are, I would get to see them if I were you, Dave. Also Low are playing Manchester Central Methodist Hall in April. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get over for any of this truly sublime stuff. A bit later in the year, and I could've done so, but such is life.

    Beer is great for the soul, but not for the body with too much. Also, the less you drink, the better it tastes (I know this from experience, trust me)

    ReplyDelete