Sunday 16 December 2012

Warsaw: Freely Celebrating Christmas

In my native Great Britain, it is often difficult to celebrate Christmas freely and properly, because the politically 'correct' dictatorship claims that it's a time of year which 'discriminates' against Jews, Muhammadans, and other non-Christians.  However, I remember a good Catholic bishop once saying that "Political 'correctness' is for imbeciles", and wouldn't go out of my way to disagree with this opinion, although the remark may be a little tough on imbeciles.

In contrast, away from the politically 'correct' insanity in Great Britain, I'm really grateful that I can openly celebrate Christmas (as a Christian) in Poland.  Thus, when I saw a friend, Gary, for the first time in 30 years (since our schooldays) in Warsaw this weekend, I thought it would be a good idea to go looking at the Christmas decorations down near the Old Town.  However, before doing this, we first had a look at a snow-laden Lazienki Park:



Yes, the Royal Palace (on the lake) looked almost mystical in the darkness.  The two pictures below, from a tourist information site, show what the Royal Palace looks like during summer:




Now, after Lazienki, we made our way down to the Old Town on the 116 bus, where we found a wonderful Christmas atmosphere near and around the Royal Castle:



Absolutely love how the bushes above have been shaped and adorned with lights to look like Christmas present boxes. 




Yes, the 'boxes' were there again at the foot of the Christmas Tree near the Royal Palace.  What you probably can't see is that a deft falling snow was adding to the seasonal atmosphere.  For me, the softness of fresh snow is like sunlight, it simply uplifts the soul. 



Yes, there was a sense of awe and wonder, many people were going to be at Mass the following day, and sometimes it just feels great to live in a country that is still unashamedly Christian (Catholic).  The final picture below is of the old Gothic church at the back end of the Old Town (the old Town is full of churches).



Finally, I'll end this post with 'All Around My Hat' by Steeleye Span (on a German TV show from the 1970s). 



Not sure if I'm right in viewing this as a Christmas song, but I have some really good memories of dancing around drunk to it at Christmas time in pre-politically 'correct' Britain.  If only Britain could turn back the clock  . . .

8 comments:

  1. Great track, Pat. There is so much folk music I have yet to discover. Keep playing these great tracks, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you also used to dance to this track drunk, Dave, so I'm hardly introducing you to it, am I?

    Or have you really forgotten it?

    Steeleye Span even once did it on one of your favourite programmes, 'Crackerjack', Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crossed wires Pat. Sorry, course I remember 'All Around My Hat'. I mean, keep playing the folk music. There are so many folk songs I have never heard of. Didn't they give contestants free cabbages on 'Crackerjack, Pat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would Crackerjack be allowed to give contestants cabbages these days, Dave?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should all sports and game shows be none competitive Pat?

    "It's the taking part that counts."

    Great England victory in India.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything that you say on these blogs is euphemistic, Dave. You're obviously quite wary of the politically 'correct' thought police.

    Yeah, well done the England cricketers, outplaying India in their own backyard

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to be affable and agreeable Pat. I am not going to argue about politics or religion because you will never change some one else's opinion. I think it's easier to talk about what we agree on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, you're spot on, in the English-speaking world, the right to give opinions is now considered anathema or even 'vulgar', so we're back with Blake's "mind-forged manacles' again.

    In Eastern Europe, you're allowed to give opinions, which is probably considered to be a central principle or process of individual freedom.

    ReplyDelete