Monday 25 February 2013

The Residents at Warsaw Stodoła 2008

Saw what may well be the last snowman of winter near where I live in Warsaw today:


From here, I don't know what it was, but I suddenly went back to my Secondary school years in north-west England over 30 years ago, as I recalled the quirky American band, The Residents, often being on the front cover of music papers such as Sounds, Melody Maker and NME.  This was when The Residents generally dressed up in top hat and tails with eyeballs on their heads.

In November 2008, The Residents played Warsaw Stodoła and I went to this gig out of pure curiosity, spurred on by my visual memories of this band from many moons ago.  What I got was what I kind of expected:  some kind of great whacky stage performance (well done to the guy who put the two small excerpts of this concert on Youtube): 





Yeah, I really enjoyed this concert as it was 'something a bit different'.

Which are my favourite Residents' songs?  Well, by a massive mile, 'Gingerbread Man' would have to be my top favourite:



Yeah, for me, this track just seems to get to the heart of the matter:  the wheel of fate/life; the ageing process; there seemingly being no rhyme or reason to it all etc.  What about my second favourite Residents' track?  Well, being a bit of a Prog-type person, this would have to be another 10-minute epic:  'Bad Day on the Midway':



Yeah, these are very interesting and often thought-provoking videos that these guys put together.

Recently found out that The Residents will be playing Warsaw Basen on May 10th so this looks like another concert to look forward to in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment