Saturday 20 December 2014

Warsaw 2014: My Favourite Gigs of the Year

Over the last few days, I've been reflecting on my favourite gigs from 2014, and a few immediately spring to mind.  First, it was incredible seeing Within Temptation for the first time, at Warsaw Torwar back in March or so:


Also got to see Gary Numan for the first time, which was also fantastic, at the Warsaw Palladium in February or so:


Yeah, this took me back to my old school years (1977-1982) in Bury, Lancashire.

In June, I went up to see Rich Robinson more out of curiosity than anything else, and, despite a small crowd at the Klub Progresja, this turned out to be one of my gigs of the year:


Have come to love Rich Robinson's 'The Ceaseless Sight' as one of the best albums I've heard in a long, long time.

Moreover, in July, as a kind of miracle out of nowhere, one of my favourite bands over the years, Kansas, visited the Klub Progresja and my good friend Dave Dealy came over from Ireland for this gig:




Yeah, this was always going to be a gig of the year.

Finally, I must also say that I really enjoyed Alcest supporting Opeth at the Klub Progresja in late October; Esben and the Witch supporting Solstafir at the Proxima in November, and the biggest surprise of all, Skid Row supporting Saxon at the Klub Progresja in November:


Never really liked Skid Row before, but they were pumped up for this and definitely won me over.

Finally, the biggest farce of 2014, well that would have to go to Morrissey for his 25-30 minute set at Warsaw Stodoła in November.  Still he did manage to do a rousing version of 'Speedway':


Of course, well done to all the fantastic people who've put these great videos on Youtube.


No comments:

Post a Comment