Sunday 17 January 2016

Manowar Live at Warsaw Torwar 16th January 2016


Eventually got to see Manowar last night.  Despite not exactly being my kind of band these days, I felt that I had to see them, as I can remember listening to them while still at school many years ago (Manowar date back to 1980, I was at school 1977-1982).  Just feel a special affection for the bands that were around during my schooldays.

Missed the first couple of numbers due to big queues outside and people not being able to get inside the Torwar building quick enough (some poor organisation from the concert organisers and/or Torwar staff here, I'm afraid).  Still, thankfully, I managed to get inside just in time for 'Sons of Odin', which was the real highlight of the night, literally giving me goosebumps.

Not long after, it was the Joey bass solo slot, when many people decided to have a walk to the toilet or get a fresh beer, as they're prone to do during most bass or drum solos.  Still, this gave me an opportunity to get some decent shots of the big screen:


As I'd expected, the stage show was great, at times really spectacular:

 

Really appreciated the big screen behind the band, as it allowed the crowd to see the band members properly:


Vocalist, Eric Adams, seemed to be enjoying himself below, as we neared towards the end of the show:


And of course, we got theatrics and a speech about the metaphysical value of Heavy Metal from bassist, Joey:

 
 

A friend today asked me what I thought of the show, and I answered that the stage show was great, but the setlist could've been better.  Good to see the band doing 'Hail and Kill' and bowing out with 'Black Wind Fire and Steel', but, for me, the occasion would've been further graced if say 'Battle Hymns' and 'Defender' had been done ('Battle Hymns' is the kind of track that would bring the house down anywhere - remember listening to this at the UMIST Rock disco in Manchester every Saturday night in the early/mid-1980s).



Hence, glad to say that I finally got to see Manowar, but would've preferred a longer set with a few more barnstorming tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment