Sunday 8 May 2016

Bury (Lancashire): Mr. Barber and Mr. Hopkins


This picture of Mr. Barber (left) and Mr. Hopkins (right), which was being discussed on Facebook recently, took me back to a distant past (1977-1982) when I was at St. Gabriel's in Bury, Lancashire.

Mr. Hopkins came to St. Gabriel's (from St. Peter's, I think) as the new headmaster in 1979 or 1980 replacing the long-serving Mr. Banks.

In contrast, Mr. Barber was there right from my first day at the school.  Can remember having him as a Maths teacher from the 2nd straight through to the 5th year.  Never liked the Maths lessons, was nothing to do with Mr. Barber, I've just never liked Maths.  Can remember having tunes from the classic Rush albums 'A Farewell To Kings' and 'Hemispheres' running through my head throughout the Maths lessons (think this may be one of the main origins of my love of Literature and the Humanities).

More than anything, I can remember a 'tuna sandwich throwing' episode with Mr. Barber, which was the main topic of the Facebook discussion I observed recently.  This episode still makes me laugh today, although for the lads who got 'six of the best' that day, it may have a more bitter-sweet resonance.




No comments:

Post a Comment