Monday 23 May 2016

Warsaw: An Old Latin Mass on Trinity Sunday


Had the honour of attending a beautiful Old Latin Mass at this church (Kościół Wizytek) on Krakowskie Przedmieście on Sunday afternoon.

My friend Michał had told me a few days beforehand that an Old Latin Mass would be taking place here on Trinity Sunday:


What was unusual about the Mass was the music that accompanied it.  The music itself seemed to be made from an old small organ which sometimes gave out a kind of accordion sound, or that's the best way I can describe it.  Would've loved to have seen the instrument that was making the music.
 

Really enjoyed the intermingling of old Polish hymns and Latin chants during this Mass:


At times, the Latin chants had a somewhat folk music-type quality that I'd never seen done before (been going to the Old Latin Mass intermittently since 1983 when I saw Archbishop Lefebvre say Mass and administer Confirmation at Preston Guild Hall in England).


And the interior of the church itself was impressive, also really glad that this Mass got the decent attendance it deserved:




Hope I get the opportunity to see such a Mass again.

No comments:

Post a Comment