Monday 4 December 2017

Dikanda Live at Warsaw Progresja 3rd December 2017


Really glad I got to see the Polish Folk/World Music group, Dikanda, last night:


Came across Dikanda while searching for new music on Youtube a few months ago.  Through this, I knew that the music would be excellent and the atmosphere electrifying last night (and I wasn't disappointed).


Also enjoyed the part when the band's friend and guest musician, Mustafa El Boudani, joined the band on stage:


It just gave a nice change of dynamic, a soothing part to the proceedings.

And then it was back on with the electrifying, at times, mesmeric stuff:


For some time, I was wondering where the wonderful guitar work was coming from, and then I found out:


My favourite tune of the night was probably always going to be 'Jokoriste Czarno':


Find this tune beautifully melodic and full of feeling, followed by some wonderful improvisation.  With the great trumpet play, Dikanda kind of remind me of Calexico at times.

Also really liked the anthemic-type 'Usti Usti Baba':


Think that the two female vocalists, Ania Witczak and Katarzyna Bogusz, sing wonderfully well in tandem together.

And, of course, the band and their guest musicians were always going to get a great ovation after a rousing two-hour or so set.


So glad I got out to see Dikanda last night.  Don't really like gigs on Sunday because they make me feel shattered for the upcoming working week, but seeing Dikanda last night was well worth the effort.  Two hours or so of musical magic went by as if in a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment