Sunday 16 December 2018

My Mental Jukebox 17



Did a Youtube surf on The Supremes last night, and was amazed at how many tunes I recognised and liked.  In other words, I was amazed at just how many songs by The Supremes were in my mental jukebox.

Alongside The Beatles and Abba, I guess that The Supremes are one of the most pleasantly melodic bands to have ever existed, as 'Stop! In the Name of Love' above demonstrates.

Was born in 1966 so the classic Supremes era between 1960 and 1967 was just before my time, but can still recall first hearing their music on an old gramophone/radio unit which my parents had when we lived in the East Ward district of Bury, Lancashire in the (especially early to mid-) 1970s.

Have also recently read about the tragic story of Florence Ballard who left The Supremes in 1967 and passed away in 1976 at the tender age of 32.

No comments:

Post a Comment