Friday 7 December 2018

Not Great at Learning Languages


Have never been great at learning languages (did get a Spanish O Level many years ago, although this is nothing to shout home about, of course).

However, after years of (on-and-off) self-study, I can now feel myself reaching some kind of Intermediate level Polish, which I view as a bit of an achievement, as Slavic languages aren't easy for native English speakers to pick up. Still can't get my head round the case system in Polish, of course.

Have also recently started learning Irish, I'm just starting to get past beginner to elementary level here. Find it interesting that Irish has two forms of (emphatic and non-emphatic) subject pronouns.

Surprisingly, it feels quite good trying to have a semi-serious stab at learning two (not particularly easy) European languages in my middle-aged years.

No comments:

Post a Comment