Monday 1 September 2014

Deciding To See Solstafir at Warsaw Proxima on 17th November 2014


A  couple of weeks ago, I only knew Icelandic band Solstafir vaguely in passing, but decided to give them a proper listen when I saw that they will be playing Warsaw Proxima on 17th November, and it only took one viewing of the band's KEXP performance (above) for me to decide that this was a band for me.

Love all three songs  ('Ljos i Stormi'; 'Fjara'; and 'Goddess of the Ages') on this KEXP performance.  Also like the tunes that I've heard from their 2014 album 'Otta', including 'Laegnetti below:



I've seen that Solstafir are sometimes categorised as such things as 'Death Metal' or 'Post-Metal', but, due to the length of their songs and the many changing moods within them, I kind of view them as being (maybe a quirky form of) Prog, and during the quieter moments, they kind of remind me a bit of fellow Icelanders, Sigur Ros.

Last year, I saw fellow Icelandic bands Arstidir (Folk) and Mum (Ethereal/Avant-Garde) in Warsaw and absolutely loved both, and I think it's going to be the same thing with Solstafir, as they've got that (Icelandic) kind of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment