Saturday 13 September 2014

Youtube Surfing: From Mary Fahl to Joni Mitchell

Sometimes, I'm unfortunate enough to be at the computer for about eight hours a day, and this is when I appreciate the musical variety on Youtube more than anything.

While working on the computer, I often go Youtube surfing to cure the boredom caused by whatever else I'm doing (e.g. proofreading for EFL coursebooks or doing transcripts for postgraduate work).

While Youtube surfing last week, I came across Mary Fahl's version of  'Both Sides Now' which, for me, does full justice to Joni Mitchell's original:


In fact, it took me back to Joni Mitchell's original, which I distantly recall having heard as an infant on the radio on my parents' old gramophone in the early 1970's:


Definitely remember the old BBC 'In Concert' series from which Joni Mitchell's 'Both Sides Now' is taken above, but it would probably be stretching my imagination a bit too far to claim that I remember this particular performance from when I was a four-year-old all those years ago in 1970, but who knows?

Anyway, through looking at this 1970 'In Concert' performance, I was also reacquainted with two other great Joni Mitchell tunes:  'Chelsea Morning' and 'Woodstock':




Over the years, I've never really given Joni Mitchell a detailed listen, and yet I recognise the three great tunes above as being canonical.  Thus, I think this may demonstrate the aesthetic magic that real music can work on the human mind/soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment