Thursday 29 September 2016

Hardy's Wessex: Kingston Maurward House


While roughing it somewhere between Stinsford and Higher Bockhampton one night under the stars (below), I couldn't help but notice the impressive building above in the distance, and guessed that it had to be of some Hardy significance.
 

And I wasn't to be disappointed.  Have just read that it is Kingston Maurward House which Thomas Hardy used as the model for Knapwater House in 'Desperate Remedies'.  Coincidentally, at the time of my recent Dorset visit, I was halfway through reading 'Desperate Remedies' and finished it off a couple of weeks later while visiting Ireland.  To be honest, this novel isn't my favourite Hardy piece as there's simply too much intrigue in it, although this does interestingly unfold towards the end of the book.

Have also just read that in the mid-19th century, the young Hardy was educated by an MP's wife from Kingston Maurward House.  Now, the House seems to be the centre of an animal park and famous for beautiful gardens too.  Must give the place a visit when I'm down in Dorchester/Dorset next.

No comments:

Post a Comment