Sunday 25 September 2016

Hardy's Wessex: Max Gate


Shortly after passing the Trumpet Major pub, I arrived at Max Gate, the place where Thomas Hardy lived from 1885-1928 in deep suburban Dorchester with both his first wife Emma and second wife Florence:


Moreover, Hardy wrote his three great tragic novels 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'; 'Jude The Obscure'; and 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' at Max Gate.

The pictures below start with one from downstairs, followed by a few from upstairs, and one back downstairs:



Even managed to get a shot of myself in the Hardy bedroom:
 

Nice shots of both Hardy's wives and their clothes below:
  




Even got a shot of the Hardy bathroom:


And then I was back downstairs:


Really enjoyed my visit to Max Gate, had a great chat with one of the ladies working there about Hardy's work, and bought J.B. Bullen's 'Thomas Hardy: The World of His Novels', a book I should've read before setting out for Hardy's Wessex rather than afterwards.


Nice shot of Max Gate from the back garden below:


And before leaving the place, I had to get a shot of the front entrance:


Just found these mobile shots that I took at Max Gate which seem to capture something of the magical atmosphere of the place:




No comments:

Post a Comment