Sunday 11 September 2016

Hardy's Wessex: Sleeping under the Stars


While walking from Thomas Hardy's childhood/young adulthood church at Stinsford towards his childhood/young adulthood village of Higher Bockhampton, it started to get dark and the 30-35 pound rucksack started to gnaw on my back. Hence, I decided to try to camp in the field above.

However, it was a chalk field so it was impossible to get the tent pegs in, and I ended up in my sleeping bag, on top of my tent, with just the flysheet covering me.  Thus, was just looking up at the stars, reflecting on how Hardy had been fascinated by astronomy, especially in one of his lesser-known novels, 'Two in a Tower', which I had read many years ago.

Dozing in this way was okay until about four in the morning when the dew started becoming heavy. Fortunately, it didn't rain so I was able to dry out my camping gear in the later morning sun, as shown in the picture above.  Fate was on my side here, rain would've been an absolute disaster.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment