Thursday 3 November 2016

Dorchester: Finding a Water Meadow


The evening before I left Dorchester for Paignton, I was lucky enough to come across John's Pond, an old irrigation well near the Mill stream and pathway in Dorchester:


I found John's Pond, said to be named after an escaped convict who drowned there, after visiting the Thomas Hardy statue for the last time and then having a look at the old Roman town house (these three places were part of a signposted walk).
 

After John's Pond, I followed my instinct and went down one of the pathways:


And was heavily rewarded, as I came upon (what I took to be) a water meadow:


This was fantastic, as I would've been massively disappointed if I hadn't seen one in Thomas Hardy country.  The name Thomas Hardy just seems synonymous with water meadows.  I don't know if it's just my imagination or what, but I seem to recall water meadows being sometimes mentioned in Hardy's work, probably in 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' if my memory serves me right.

No comments:

Post a Comment