Wednesday 11 December 2013

Discovering the Music of Agnes Obel


Yesterday, I got a ticket to see Agnes Obel at Warsaw Palladium on 11th January, but how did I discover her music?

Well, some time last year, I was Youtube surfing with my favourite Polish band (and, for me, one of the best Prog bands around anywhere), Riverside, and, by chance, I came across the song 'Riverside' by Agnes Obel (above) and really liked it, but, afterwards, didn't think anything more of it. 

However, a few weeks ago, seeing that Agnes Obel was playing the Palladium in January, I decided to give her music a proper spin, and have found the perfect (interesting but unobtrusive) music to accompany my proofreading work in Warsaw, which can be attritional.  Yes, this is riveting therapeutic music that softens the tedium of being on a computer for hours on end:


Really like 'The Curse' (above).  And about Agnes' piano-playing, well, at times, it just reminds me a bit of the tide slowly rolling in or out at the seaside, as with 'Falling Catching' below::


As for 'Close Watch' below, I was almost certain I'd heard this tune somewhere before, and then discovered it was a John Cale song (saw John Cale about seven years ago in Warsaw):



All in all, I'm really happy that I've started to check out Agnes Obel's music properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment