Friday 21 August 2015

Varna (Bulgaria): The Assumption of the Virgin Cathedral


Was well worth paying the small fee to be able to take shots inside Varna (The Assumption of the Virgin) Cathedral:


What I really like about Orthodox (or Uniat Catholic) churches/cathedrals is that the iconography is always so esoteric-looking to my Western Catholic eyes:


Had to get a shot of the iconostasis and ceiling combined together from a distance:


In particular, the lighter-coloured walls and ceiling contrasted nicely with the mainly black iconostasis and other furnishings.


And of course, the cathedral is dedicated to the Virgin of the Assumption:


Not really sure what the ornate object below is, but me and my wife guessed that it may be a small baptismal font (of course, we could be wrong):


Again, I was transfixed to the, for me, esoteric-looking iconography:


And some of the intricate artwork on the walls and stained glass windows:


Just read on the internet that Varna Cathedral opened in the late 19th century, and is the second largest Orthodox cathedral in Bulgaria after Alexander Nevski Cathedral in Sofia.

No comments:

Post a Comment