Thursday 10 September 2015

Bury (Lancashire): St. Joseph's Catholic Church and Infant/Junior Schools from the 1970s


Really glad somebody sent these pictures round the 'Old Bury' websites recently, as they evoke a lot of nostalgia for me.  Starting with St. Joseph's church above: I used to go there as a child in the 1970s.  Unfortunately, the statue of Our Lady in the picture was destroyed by mindless vandals (during the 1980s or 1990s, I think).

Below, there is a shot from a distance of St. Joseph's Infant School.  Can still remember my first day there and meeting two second-generation Poles, Henry Portas and Andrew Dzien.  Still in contact with Henry who lives in Bolton now, but the last I heard about Andrew was that he was living in a Salvation Army hostel down Cornwall (let's hope his fortunes have changed):


And then St. Joseph's Junior School, I was here between about 1974 and 1977:


Recognise Mr. Mahon and a few of the faces on the picture below, but it's from so long ago that it's like another lifetime away now:


No comments:

Post a Comment