Saturday 12 September 2015

Varna Cathedral: Religious Fresh Air


In my home country of Great Britain, Christian religiosity and symbols have been more or less banished from public life due to the godless, politically-'correct' ideology that runs amok there. 

Thus, when I see something like the Eastern Orthodox Cathedral in Varna, I feel like pure fresh air is entering my soul:


I simply love Christian paintings and iconography, they give me a sort of enchantment, something that the Western world is sadly losing:


Just think that Eastern/Byzantine Christendom has a special flavour that as a member of Western Christendom, I'm somewhat able to sense the mysticism but not fully grasp the meaning of it:


In my late teenage years, I read quite a bit about Eastern Orthodoxy, and now, at a visual level, it still fascinates me:


Had to get a shot of the Assumption painting below, as Varna Cathedral is named after Our Lady of the Assumption:


Also really like the Nativity painting below:


No comments:

Post a Comment