Tuesday 15 March 2016

Avila Cathedral: Aesthetic Emotion


Was allowed to use my camera inside the 11th/12th century Avila Cathedral:



 It's funny but taking shots of beautiful objects inside a medieval cathedral, just as darkness was beginning to fall, did kind of give me a sense of God, or the experience of aesthetic emotion at the least.


Here, I just went round Avila Cathedral not knowing anything about the objects (tombs, side altars, statues, engravings, organs, arches etc.) and history inside, just letting the medieval beauty of it all speak for itself.





In most medieval cathedrals, it's the arches that give me goosebumps the most, the pure beauty of it all:

 














The sun starting to go down, it definitely added something:





Of course, I started to come back to Earth once I'd left the cathedral building and was walking away from it:


But still, through the darkness, quietness and solitude of a medieval cathedral at sundown, I felt that I had been able to sense God (or had experienced aesthetic emotion at the least).

No comments:

Post a Comment