Tuesday 3 September 2019

Visiting Thomas Hardy's St. Juliot Church


In extremely windy conditions, I got to see St. Juliot church, near Boscastle in north Cornwall, after a scenic bus ride from Bude where I'd stayed the previous night.

The picture above shows St. Juliot church tower becoming visible after I'd walked 1-2 miles down a country lane from the main road where the bus driver had dropped me off.


In 'Discovering Hardy's Wessex' (1978/1982: 49), Anne-Marie Edwards explains:

          "The little church stands today on its hilltop in as wild and remote a setting as" Hardy 
          "pictured it".


Moreover, on the same page, she reveals that:

          "Hardy spent many hours in the church drawing plans for the restoration of the tower and the
           renewal of rotting woodwork".


The church was beautiful from an age gone by:



Inside the church, I only took the one shot below (should've taken many more photos):


And signed the visitors book briefly explaining my interest in Thomas Hardy.

Of course, I couldn't keep my eyes off the tower:


Anne-Marie Edwards (1978/1982: 49) explains about Hardy's future wife, Emma Lavinia Gifford, who he met at St. Juliot rectory:

          "As the rector's sister-in-law she had much to do with the restoration work, apart from her
           interest in the architect! It was Emma who laid the first stone of Hardy's new tower".


No comments:

Post a Comment