Sunday 29 June 2014

Deciding To See Martin Barre at Warsaw Klub Progresja on 16th October 2014

Saw Jethro Tull four times in the 1980s:  on the 'Broadsword and the Beast' tour at Birmingham NEC in 1982; at Milton Keynes (with Marillion, Gary Moore, Magnum, and Mamas Boys) in 1986; then on the 'Crest of a Knave' tour at Manchester Apollo; and another time at Manchester Apollo.  Absolutely loved the first three times I saw Tull, but was a touch disappointed the last time as the early bluesy stuff seemed to outweigh (my favourite) folky stuff.

However, a few weeks ago, I saw that Tull guitarist Martin Barre and his band will be playing Warsaw Klub Progresja in October, so I thought that I'd check him out on Youtube, saw that he did cracking versions of 'Minstrel in the Gallery' and 'Thick As a Brick' (as well as other interesting things such as Gov't Mule's 'Thorazine Shuffle'), then it was second nature to get a ticket to see him:



Full credit to the vocalist here as well, as he sounds somewhat like Ian Anderson while having a good voice in his own right. 

As for my favourite Tull albums, they are 'Songs from the Wood'; 'Heavy Horses'; and 'Stormwatch' (the folky stuff), but my favourite tune would have to be 'Mountain Men', as the start, lyrically and musically, just sends shivers down my spine:


No comments:

Post a Comment