Friday 30 January 2015

UFO: 'Long Gone' and 'Couldn't Get It Right'


Another song that has been at the forefront of my mental jukebox over the years is 'Long Gone' by UFO.  First time I heard this was when I saw UFO at Manchester Apollo in early 1981, and I thought "Wow, what a great tune to come on with".

From 'The Wild, the Willing, and the Innocent' album, I also really like 'Couldn't Get It Right', which, if I remember correctly, I used to have as a 7-inch clear vinyl single:


For me, this is just a beautifully melodic tune which is why it has also remained at the forefront of my mental jukebox for going on 35 years or so.

Like most people, my favourite UFO tunes are from the 1973-1978 Michael Schenker years (some of the greatest music ever made), and I also really like the first two (pre-Schenker) psychaedelic albums, but sometimes it's easy to forget that some of the post-Schenker early 1980s stuff with Paul Chapman on guitar was genuinely good like the two tunes above.

No comments:

Post a Comment