Thursday 10 October 2013

Fish Live at Warsaw Klub Progresja 9th October 2013



Before last night, the last times I'd seen Fish (Derek Dick) were with Marillion back in 1982 at Manchester Apollo; 1985 at Castle Donington (where I drank too much and fell asleep halfway through the set); and Milton Keynes in 1986. 

Didn't get up to the Klub Progresja till about 8.45 last night, and the Fish gig was already underway, so how much I'd missed I'm not quite sure, maybe anything between 10-40 minutes.  Anyway, when I arrived, Fish and his band were already doing some really mellow stuff such as 'Blind To The Beautiful' from the new album, 'A Feast of Consequences'. 

Besides the above, Fish was discussing how the Serbs had bombed Sarajevo Library to destroy its Islamic literature, and how a black friend had had some kind of trouble in Eastern Poland.  This kind of politically 'correct' diatribe drew a minimalist response from the audience.  However, the audience had far more empathy for Fish's discussion about his grandfather's involvement in the 1st World War at the Battle of the Somme, and his trio of tracks from 'A Feast of Consequences' ('Crucifix Corner'; 'The Gathering'; and 'Thistle Alley' were a fitting tribute to the fallen of the Somme and the 1st World War:


Yeah, 'Crucifix Corner' was my favourite tune of the night (well done to the good person who put the video above from Warrington in May on Youtube).  Indeed, the three 1st World War songs really worked well with the black and white movie backdrop.

So what else can I say about the evening with Fish?  Well, the Marillion snippets:  'He Knows You Know'; 'Fugazi'; 'White Feather' etc. all sounded (inevitably perhaps) a bit dated, while most of his solo stuff, which I'm not that familiar with, sounded great.  Thus, I guess I had a nice evening catching up with Fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment