Tuesday 15 October 2013

Youtube Surfing with Lana Del Rey and Within Temptation


Started off my Youtube surfing last Friday by listening to several of my favourite Within Temptation songs such as 'Angels'; 'Faster'; 'Shot in the Dark'; and 'Summertime Sadness' above.  Thus, knowing that 'Summertime Sadness' is a cover of Lana Del Rey, and only knowing the latter vaguely in passing (despite all the hype), I thought that I must have a look at Lana Del Rey, and was pleasantly surprised with what I found.

First, I found myself really liking Ms. Rey's 'Summertime Sadness':


Besides the above, I found that a cluster of her songs, including 'Born To Die'; 'Blue Jeans' and 'Young and Beautiful, just had a kind of old-fashioned 1950s/1960s, cinematic-type feel that I could kind of empathise with:




I know there's some kind of big debate over the quality of her singing live, but, for me, this is not that important, what's really impressive is that she can construct such songs (with such a great nostalgic feel and flavour), they're simply wonderfully empathetic pieces, seemingly digging much deeper into the human condition than a lot of contemporary music.

Finally, my Friday night Youtube sufing took me to a meeting between Sharon Den Adel (of Within Temptation) and Lana Del Rey on Dutch TV:


This is a fascinating short piece of anthropology, as Den Adel pays Del Rey a compliment about her seemingly trying to convey something more than just her music, to which an initially somewhat uncomfortable-looking Del Rey starts to relax a bit more while being caught in the spotlight.

Finally, why was I starting my Friday night Youtube surf with Within Temptation last Friday?  Well, having got a ticket to see the band at Warsaw Torwar in March next year, even at the age of nearly 48, I'm genuinely excited about seeing any great band that I've never seen before.  Also think that Within Temptation are one of the best bands on the planet at the moment.  Really love the video of them playing live at some kind of Main Square Festival below:


No comments:

Post a Comment