Friday 18 October 2013

Warsaw Basen: Why I Like The Place


Why do I like the Basen in Warsaw?  Well, generally speaking, it's just a wonderfully small and intimate place for catching some avant garde-type/experimental-type bands in Warsaw.  As far as I know, the Basen ('Swimming Pool') started holding gigs last year, and my first trips to the place where to see old American cult-type band, The Residents, and the far more modern American group, The Chromatics, in the first half of this year.  Since then, I've seen quite a few interesting bands and performers at the Basen including Coco Rosie; The Raveonettes; excellent Polish band, Hatifnats (supporting The Raveonettes); Icelandic band, Mum (one of my concerts of the year), and another Icelander, Sin Fang (below supporting Mum).  Should've also seen another Icelander, Soley, at the Basen this year, but just didn't get round to it.


So, when am I off to the Basen next?  Well, on Tuesday 22nd October next week to see Canadian electronica-type band,  Austra:


Was introduced to bands like Austra; Mum; and Soley on the Seattle-based music programme KEXP via Youtube, and now it's great to be able to watch some of what I call the 'KEXP bands' live in Warsaw courtesy of the Basen.  Below, Austra are performing on KEXP:


Can't wait for Austra next week, experimental music with an interesting kind of polyphonic-type flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment