Sunday 20 October 2013

Kraków: The Church Where I Saw an Armenian Catholic Mass Many Years Ago


I remember the small church above for having seen an Armenian Catholic Mass there about 14-15 years ago when I lived in Nowy Sącz, and regularly visited Kraków on Sunday and occasionally Saturday.  During a Saturday visit, my friends from the Society of St. Pius X (where I sometimes went to the Old Latin Mass in a flat just round the corner from the Rynek in Kraków) informed me about the Armenian Catholic Mass, and out of curiosity, I had to see it.  The church above lies just across the road from the part of the Kraków Wawel Castle complex in the picture below:

What do I recall about the Armenian Catholic Mass?  Well, I remember being sat amongst a small mainly Armenian congregation, while the Armenian priest, dressed in bright red vestments holding a golden and jewel-looking cross throughout, continually chanted in Armenian with his back to the people in the Traditional Catholic way.  Another endearing memory from the Armenian Catholic Mass is the beautiful stained glass window of Our Lady and the Child Jesus in the picture below:


Yes, it was great to go back in time recently, in August this year to be exact, to get a picture of such a beautiful church window.

No comments:

Post a Comment