Tuesday 19 November 2013

Planet of the Abts Live at Warsaw Klub Progresja 17th November 2013


A couple of weeks ago, I saw that a band called Planet of the Abts were playing the Klub Progresja in Warsaw, checked them out on Youtube; discovered they were the drummer and bassist of Gov't Mule joined together with another guitarist (T-Bone Andersson); liked what I heard on Youtube (especially the Black Sabbath cover 'Who Are You' above); and quite naturally ended up going to see the band on Sunday night.

First up, I arrived halfway through the set of all-female Led Zeppelin tribute group, Lez Zeppelin, who were more than okay:



Found 'Stairway To Heaven' a bit hit and miss, but the band did rousing versions of 'Whole Lotta Love' and 'Heartbreaker', so I was glad that I arrived in time to catch them.

As for Planet of the Abts, well, having seen Gov't Mule at the Klub Progresja earlier this year, I already knew that drummer, Matt Abts (in the picture below), and bassist,  Jorgen Carlsson, are seriously talented musicians, but this was my first look at T-Bone Andersson, and must say that I really liked both his guitar work and slow drawling-type vocal style.


For many in the crowd, the highlight of the set seemed to be when a young Polish lad called Darek got on stage playing his violin alongside the band, especially T-Bone:


What I also like about T-Bone is that he seems to be a throwback in appearance, reminding me a bit of both Rory Gallagher and Fast Eddie Clarke:


Yes, like Gov't Mule, I really like Planet of the Abts as they remind me of Rock music the way it used to be done years ago. 

How would I describe them?  Well, I find them pretty difficult to categorise, but thoughts like 'raw prog with a touch of psychedelia mixed in' spring to mind.  Just one small disappointment, the band didn't seem to have done 'Circus' while I was leaving for my last bus home at 10.50 (of course, they could've done it afterwards).

No comments:

Post a Comment