Saturday 23 November 2013

Sorry Boys Live at Warsaw Basen 22nd November 2013


Went seeing Polish band, Sorry Boys, at Warsaw Basen last night, my third gig in six days.  So, how did I discover Sorry Boys then?  Well, a couple of months ago, I saw that they were playing the Basen, one of my favourite concert places in Warsaw, and decided to give them a spin on Youtube:



Upon doing this, the title track of the 'Hard Working Classes' album reminded me somewhat of Manchester band, Lamb, as I found Izabela Komoszyńska's kind of  gentle 'shrieky' vocal style similar to that of Lou Rhodes of Lamb.  Really like Lamb, so this similarity was fine by me.


Anyway, to the concert itself last night, Sorry Boys did my favourite track by them, 'Salty River', two songs in (the video below is from a Polish TV concert some time ago): 



For me, 'Salty River' is an interesting track, as it shows there is a harder edge to Sorry Boys, and, thus, cannot be just pigeonholed in some kind of 'dream pop' category.  Indeed, at times last night, the band even gave me the impression that they could possibly evolve into some kind of Prog-type format if they wanted to, such was the clear enjoyment they got from the extended instrumental parts of some of their tunes.

Do genuinely like the 'Hard Working Classes' album, but didn't quite know what to make of the band's new material (drawn from their second album, 'Vulcano') last night, such as the very poppy 'Evolution (St. Theresa)':




Yeah, it's good for a band to experiment and avoid being static, but this tune isn't really my cup of tea, to be honest.  After the concert last night, I overheard an Australian guy saying that he was left a bit confused as to what kind of type of music he'd just been listening to, and I kind of think that Sorry Boys are in that common early album stage of not being quite sure what line of music to follow yet (of course, this is not a bad thing).


So, which tune seemed to get the best reception of the night?  Well, that would have to be 'The Sun' from the 'Hard Working Classes' album (below, a good person has put a video on Youtube of the band doing 'The Sun' from a gig in Wrocław earlier this month):


Finally, last night at the Basen, the band did about an 80-minute set including two encores, and had a healthy-sized crowd purring for more, and, for me, they should've seized the moment by coming back on to do another couple of tunes, but they didn't, possibly missing an opportunity to absolutely nail rather than just entertain an audience.

Still, all in all, this was a good concert and it'll be interesting to see in what musical direction Sorry Boys go in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment