Saturday 9 November 2013

Randy Crawford Live at Warsaw Sała Kongresowa 8th November 2013


Was at Warsaw Sała Kongresowa to see Randy Crawford last night.  The last time I was here was about 5-6 years ago to see PJ Harvey, while I've also seen Yes; Kraftwerk; Tracy Chapman and the Gotan Project here over the years.

As can be seen in the picture above, the Sała Kongresowa is a gorgeous, Classical-type building.  However, the place can be a touch pompous, for example, last night, I was ordered to leave my light jacket in a cloakroom before I could enter the theatre.

Anyway, Randy Crawford (just about visible on the right below) was fantastic doing her most famous tunes:  'Rainy Night in Georgia'; 'One Day I'll Fly Away'; 'Street Life'; and 'Almaz'.  However, as 'Almaz' was the first encore, I had to sacrifice half of it so that I could retrieve my coat (just didn't fancy battling it out with 2,500+ others after the show).


Besides the more famous tunes, I was happy to see that I recognised quite a few of the more Jazzy songs from the 2011 'Leverkusener' concert video:


As for the Joe Sample trio, well, in the absence of Joe himself, I've got to say that son Niklas Sample is one hell of a bassist, while both the drummer and pianist are also top notch:


Another word about the Sała Kongresowa and it's not a bad one:  the sound is really good there (still find the ambience of the place difficult to like, though)


Also really like the incredible alcoves and ceiling at the Kongresowa:


And the last word about Randy Crawford?  Well, she's got such a beautifully soft and yet measured, and, in its own way, powerful voice, and she makes it all look so effortless.  Thus, she has a great God-given talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment