Monday 4 November 2013

Warsaw Zoo: Early November 2013


Had a thoroughly enjoyable time at Warsaw Zoo on Saturday afternoon, although I never got to see some of the animals, such as the rhinos above (on a picture at the zoo entrance), because it was either too cold for them, or they had already retired sleepily for the day.  Indeed, somebody explained to me today that it's much better to visit a zoo in the morning when all the animals are more likely to be up and active, and I guess that this stands to reason. 

Anyway, the first thing you see as you enter the zoo are the pink flamingos:


After this colourful start, if you turn right, there is the exotic-bird section, where you can see quite a few different kinds of large 'parrot-type' birds (you can see that I'm no expert on birds):


Only caught glimpses of the monkeys; elephants;  and giraffes from a distance, and never got to see any of the big cats, but did manage to see several small kangaroos/wallabies, like the one in the picture below:


Also got a nice shot of the zebras as it started to get dark after 4pm, which was weird, almost safari-like, photographing such creatures in the dark:


Managed to get a nice shot of these storks in the darkness as well:


The storks are a celebrated bird in Poland, as in spring/summer, they fly in from Africa to resettle in their huge nests, which have usually been built on top of such things as telegraph poles.

However, the small (red) panda, advertised in the picture below, was the creature that really gave me the runaround, and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get a decent picture of the thing, so I guess that I'll just have to try again some time:


Anyway, there was a happy ending as I did manage to get some decent shots of the small sloth below, seeing this animal being the highlight of my visit to the zoo for me:


Up there, happy and comfortable on his perch, the small sloth reminded me of a wise little Buddah, as it was amazing how human he looked.


No comments:

Post a Comment