Thursday 19 February 2015

Duke Garwood and Mark Lanegan Band Live at Warsaw Klub Progresja 18th February 2015


A day or two before going to the Mark Lanegan gig last night, I'd quickly checked Duke Garwood out on Youtube, and then made sure that I'd got up to the Klub Progresja in time to see him.


And I'm really glad that I did catch him.  Without knowing any of his tunes, which I'll now familiarise myself with, of course, I really enjoyed his set.  Don't usually like 2-band member minimalism to be honest, but last night, Duke Garwood was great.


And what about the Mark Lanegan Band?  Well, the music was great.  I find tunes like 'Revival'; 'Harvest Home'; and 'The Gravedigger's Song' (the tune of the night for me) sublime.


However, the dimly lit/almost dark stage was a touch surreal with no light ever seeming to remotely approach Mark Lanegan.  The shot below was the 'best' I could get of the man himself, but I guess that it may have a bit of a mystical edge to it:


Not quite sure what to make of the dimly lit/almost dark stage effect, it just kind of had me 'philosophising' about whether live music is mainly an auditory or visual experience.  I was left concluding that it should probably be a mixture of both.
 

Still, the dimly lit/almost dark stage effect was interesting, as, even after 35 years or so of going to gigs, I'd never seen anything quite like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment