Tuesday 3 February 2015

UK: 'Danger Money' Album

Here I'm going back to 1979 and the 'Danger Money' album by prog supergroup UK.  First became aware of UK through seeing the band do 'Caesar's Palace Blues' on 'The Old Grey Whistle Test':


From here, I then became familiar with the 'Danger Money' album through an old mate of mine, Daz George, playing it to death on vinyl.  Thus, with this in mind, I had to go on Youtube recently to refamiliarise myself with the album after 30-35 years or so.

First, must say that I find both the title track and 'Nothing To Lose' incredibly melodic (not completely removed from what John Wetton went on to do on the first Asia album a couple of years later):



But my favourite tune now has to be 'Rendezvous 6.02':


Just love the layers (gentle tidal waves) of keyboards from Eddie Jobson at the beginning of this tune.

In contrast, the other two tracks from 'Danger Money', 'The Only Thing She Needs' and  'Carrying No Cross', I just, rightly or wrongly, find these a bit more 'laboured'.

Saw UK with a line-up including Wetton and Jobson (with Tony Levin guesting on bass) at Warsaw Palladium about five years ago, in 2009 if my memory serves me rightly, but I rather foolishly missed about a third of this due to arriving late after an EFL lesson (think that 'Caesar's Palace Blues' was the first encore).  Had only found out about this gig from a fly poster the day before and had, thus, got a ticket for the gig on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment