Saturday 7 February 2015

Underrated Bands: Georgia Satellites


Like many people I guess, I became aware of Georgia Satellites through 'Battleship Chains' (above) from the band's self-titled album in 1986.

First got to see Georgia Satellites at Reading Festival in 1987 when, if I remember correctly, they were due to be third or fourth from the top of the bill but ended up being second from the top on the Saturday night going on before Status Quo.  Here, it became clear that the band created a rousing atmosphere live, and somewhere back in my hometown of Bury I have a live radio recording of the Reading Festival performance.

If I had to say which was my favourite Georgia Satellites' tune, it would have to be 'Nights of Mystery':


After Reading 87, I got to see Georgia Satellites three more times in the late 1980s:  once at the International I and twice at the International II in Manchester.  Still recall me and some mates chatting with Dan Baird after the International I gig, and bassist Rick Price coming up and giving us all a can of Carlsberg Special Brew.

Had rather unwisely not given Dan Baird's Homemade Sin a proper spin until Youtube surfing last night, from which 'Younger Face' seems to be emerging as my favourite tune:



No comments:

Post a Comment