Friday 21 October 2016

Bury (Lancashire): Affetside


When I visited my hometown of Bury (Lancashire) in August, I finally got to see the Old Medieval (or even Roman) Cross up at Affetside:


It's commonly believed to have been a sign post or stopping-off place for medieval Catholic pilgrims on their way to Whalley Abbey.


Have just read that Affetside lies on an old Roman road from Manchester to Ribchester.


Was really impressed with the public toilet near the village green, it was incredibly well-equipped:


Of course, I'd heard about the old skull in the Pack Horse, so I had to have a look at it:


Had a pricey but must say fantastic pint of Real Ale called Royal Oak inside the Pack Horse which looked like a big food place.

Then a few steps down the road towards Walshaw, I passed this old, (non-) Congregational chapel:


A small handful of parishoners seemed to be faithfully keeping the chapel going:


Have just read that this chapel, which is said to date back to the mid-19th century, offers Sunday services for both Congregationalists and Presbytarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment