Thursday 16 November 2017

My Mental Jukebox Part 5



Remember hearing 'Video Killed the Radio Star' by The Buggles back in 1979 when I was still a 2nd or 3rd year at secondary school in Bury, Lancashire. 

Think this was a song that everybody loved to hate but secretly admired.  I just thought that something unusual was going on in the song, and that both Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn had something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was exactly. 

At the time, nobody could've imagined that just a short time after 'Video Killed the Radio Star', both Downes and Horn would join Yes for a short while with the resulting (in my opinion, great) Yes album, 'Drama'.

Moreover, time has shown Geoff Downes to be an accomplished keyboard player with Asia and back again with Yes (saw Downes with Yes a few years ago and with Asia in 2010, both times in Warsaw), and Trevor Horn a highly respected record producer. 

And when I saw Asia at Warsaw Stodola seven years ago, they did 'Video Killed the Radio Star' with the late great John Wetton handling the vocals:





No comments:

Post a Comment