Tuesday 21 November 2017

My Mental Jukebox Part 6


These two songs, 'Northern Sky' by Nick Drake (above) and 'Lucky Man' by The Verve (below) automatically start playing in my mental jukebox around Crewe train station when I'm heading back from somewhere like Thomas Hardy country (Dorset in south-west England) to Manchester Piccadilly train station towards my ultimate destination, my old hometown of Bury, Lancashire.


When I used to live in Canterbury, Kent, now over 10 years ago, the same two songs used to always start playing in my mind (my soul) around Crewe train station.  There's just something magical about Crewe train station, it's like a gateway from Cheshire to Lancashire while travelling northwards from somewhere in the south on the trains in England.

Unfortunately, my final destination on these journeys (which are becoming increasingly rare), Bury, Lancashire, often struggles to live up to the beauty of the two above-mentioned songs.  Having said this, some of the countryside and moorland around Bury, especially Deeply Vale; Cheesden Valley; up on the Owd Betts etc., is absolutely stunning.  Really miss walking to some of these places.

No comments:

Post a Comment